Promotional products are a valuable resource for businesses of any size. They help to increase brand awareness and they help you stand out from your competitors, all while successfully targeting the right customer. Customers love getting free items that are useful to them, and you reap all the rewards by staying front-of-mind with anyone that sees the item. Purchasing a few promotional products is one thing. When you really want to see the benefits of them increase exponentially, you purchase promotional products in bulk. To make the most of your marketing budget, you need to follow these four strategic steps:
Set a Clear Objective
There are many reasons to implement a promotional product campaign, and the one you choose will play a role in the type of product you should select. Is your company looking to simply increase brand awareness and spread the word about your organization? Or do you want to increase sales by a certain percentage as a result of the promotional product blitz?
Choose the Right Promotional Product
There are literally hundreds of promotional products available, offering everything from pens to tote bags to USB drives and beyond—but not all of them will work for every business model. To determine the one that will work the best for you, ask yourself these three questions:
- Who is your target audience? How do they spend their time? What do they do while they are at work? After evaluating these things, you can select a product that will be beneficial to them in their daily lives. Crazy products can get your attention, but it is the functional products that actually get used and help spread your messaging even further.
- What message do you want to spread? Are you setting the tone for the brand of your business? Do you just want to get attention? Choose a promotional product that fits the quality and appearance of your brand. Every detail matters. A cheap pen will relay to recipients that you are a cheap company, while a classy pen that writes well will help you be known as a top-class brand.
- What relates to your company? While all promotional products will have your company name on them, if you want the biggest bang for your buck, you will want to tie that product back into your marketing message. Ex: If your company helps to solve a problem, you could give out a Rubik’s cube. Then you could put a catchy phrase on it, such as, “We are here to solve your pest control problems.”
Start Small Before Going Big
After you have gone through the analysis process and determined the ideal promotional product for your company and target market, test your theory. The last thing you want to do is invest your full budget from the get-go only to determine your analysis was wrong. Start small, make sure your hypothesis can be proven, and then start your massive distribution.
Include a Way to Track Success
One of the most challenging aspects of promotional products is tracking their effectiveness. But there are some things you can do to keep tabs on your ROI:
- Create a landing page for the product that only promotional product recipients have access to.
- Include a unique promo code to use on your website.
- Create an email address specific to each product so you can see what people are responding to.
- Ask customers how they heard about you when they visit your store.
By taking the time to thoroughly investigate your target market and then choosing a product that they will love to use, you can experience great success by using promotional products in bulk.