Bad times can hit anyone at any point of life. Getting in trouble including being charged with a DUI, you should consult an AC Law DUI Lawyer. What one should therefore do is note down all such survival strategies that can keep him away from impending dangers. One of the worst consequences that a person can encounter is getting jailed. Once this happens, it will take moments for his world to turn upside down. So before that happens, one should have the concept of bail bonds clear so that it doesn’t involve more complications in the process. But first, you need to know the process thoroughly and then only you can proceed to save yourself or your near one, that is, the victim.
Well, a lot has been said about bail bonds in general. But how many people are aware of the steps that need to be followed one after another. So, here are the procedures that are followed in the processing of bail bonds:
- Getting Booked – Under the process of booking, the person is usually arrested and taken into police custody. Officers will then take your personal information into account. For instance, your name, date of birth as well as all your physical characteristics will be noted. Once done, the information on what type of crime you have committed will be taken into consideration. Your fingerprints and all relevant photographs will be recorded. Thereafter, your criminal background will be investigated and any personal belonging like phone, keys, purse etc. will be confiscated. Once these are done, you will be transferred to your local jail. In the case of any minor offense, you will be provided a written citation. After signing it, you will then be released and appear later in court.
- Arranging your Release – Once the booking procedure is over, the next step will be making arrangements for your release. As per the authorities, their primary concern would be to ensure that you would be present on all court dates in future. In some cases, you might be eligible to get a release on the basis of your own recognizance. This means that you make a promise through a piece of writing that you will appear in court whenever it summons. However, there are certain factors based on which the judge will grant own recognizance:
- How serious is the crime committed
- Details of your criminal record
- If your community considers you a threat
- If you have strong ties with the community
Despite, if you are released on the basis of your own recognizance but fail to appear in court on the mentioned date, as you had promised, a warrant will be issued against you for arrest.
- Initiate Bail proceedings – Written promises to appear in the court as per specified dates are not always sufficient. The court will look for a financial guarantor that will assure your appearance in court. As far as the process of bail is concerned, a fixed amount of money needs to be paid by you so that the release from police custody is possible. However, you need to promise that you must appear in court at any cost on account of all your criminal proceedings that have been scheduled. If you keep up to your promise, your bail amount would be returned, and if you don’t, you will be arrested and your bail amount too will be forfeited.
- Bail Hearing at Court – The court will conduct the process of bail hearing to decide whether bail would be granted and what amount would be fixed for it. For this, a few factors will be taken into consideration by the court:
- Your mental as well as physical condition
- Monetary resources and family ties
- Your history of drugs and alcohol
- Your criminal records
- Past record in regard to appearance in court
- Duration of your residence
- Imposing restrictions on traveling, medical and psychological treatment etc.
- Posting the Bail Bond – After the court sets your bail amount, a certain percentage needs to be posted or paid to the court. Once it is paid or posted, a document will be issued by the court stating that you are granted release. If you fail to post the bail bond, you can hire a bail bond agent like Post Bail By Phone who will charge a certain percentage of the total bail amount. The amount will, however, be non-refundable.
Besides, you can always talk to a bail bond agent who will help you get a fast release and free you of further complications as soon as possible. The reason is simple. The sooner you are out of jail, the better it is.